- Kate Munari has been awarded the Afghanistan Campaign medal by His Royal Highness Prince Charles.
- In 2014, she was the focus of ABC’s Lateline documentary Recognising the role of Women in the ADF.
- She has managed diverse teams in a war zone varying in ages from 18 – 55.
- She served in Afghanistan three times as part of CHF, flying day and night, in all weather conditions as aircraft captain and formation commander.
- Kate was an Officer in Charge of the Royal Australian Navy’s vessel which escorted the Royal barge during the Diamond Jubilee river pageant for Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.
- Resilience Under Fire: Beatings The Odds And Thriving In High-Pressure Environments
As the only female Australian Navy pilot to ever fly in Afghanistan, Kate knows all about adversity and overcoming the odds. She was responsible for the lives of 16 personnel when their Sea King helicopter was shot at mid-air in a warzone, she frequently made quick decisions under tough military circumstances, and when posted to Commando Helicopter Force, UK, she was the only female frontline pilot among 150 pilots and aircrewmen.
Through compelling storytelling that spans two decades in the Navy, Kate shares strategies she used to cope with stress under extreme military conditions, how her failures motivated her to enhance her performance, and imparts a unique and refreshing insight into gender stereotypes (and it's not what you would think).
In this emotive, gripping and upbeat keynote, Kate shares inspiring lessons about the power we all have to beat the odds with a winning mindset.
- Motivation to stay the course and achieve against the odds
- Leadership and Teamwork and the importance of both
- Finding balance and success as a female in a male dominated workplace and leader in that environment
- Practical people management
- Entertainment with stories from operations in Afghanistan and serving with the Royal Marine Commandos
- Keys to my success
Decision making, communication, leadership, determination, goal focused, planning, preparation etc.
- Success during adversity
Working in extreme environments and how to remain focused.
Organised, professional and an absolute delight to work with, Kate was the special guest speaker at our Women in Leadership Event. Her inspiring stories were not only highly engaging but the lessons she taught our guests were tangible and transferable to any industry. Looking forward to working with Kate again in the future.
Senior Marketing Manager
Thank you Kate for speaking at our breakfast. You spoke incredibly well with true conviction and passion for everything you shared with us. From the moment your talk began you captivated the audience and took us on an incredible journey. Your stories of teamwork, dedication, gender and the right to follow your dreams left an impactful message across the 250 people in the room. I look forward to another opportunity to work together.
University of Canberra
Kate completely nailed her brief last night and provided an outstanding presentation in a manner that ensured every attendee took something positive away from it.
Australian Pipeline and Gas Association
Kate’s story is unique, fascinating, inspirational and suited to any audience! Her journey of leadership and achievement in some of the toughest environments and most challenging situations ensures attendees full engagement. Kate was great to work with and extremely professional at the event and in the lead up, with thorough communication and preparation.
Aviation Aerospace Australia
Keynote speakers at corporate events often share ‘war' stories of how they have risen to the top of their field and overcome challenges on their journey. So it was mind-blowing to have Kate share her REAL war stories at our Christmas event! Engaging right from the start, Kate’s journey is inspiring and our guests were captivated from her first word to her last. Many commented that to hear from a female pilot who has served on the frontline was a privilege and proved that any challenge can be overcome.
Chief Financial Officer