- Shanan Worrell was raised in a deeply religious community. His brother committed suicide … leaving Shanan to deal with years of mental anguish.
- He has been an abalone diver in the some of the most remote and wild spots on earth.
- He has developed a ground-breaking shark deterrent business, called Shark Eyes.
- Russell Ord is famed for photographing a violent twist of Indian Ocean known simply as 'The Right'.
- The hard-won image served as the focal point for his celebrated documentary; One Shot, an ABC art series on creatives.
Resilience and adversity
Overcoming personal challenges and fears then turning them into peak performances and a positive mindset.
The ability to make high-stress situations totally manageable and not high stress at all, the art of making good decisions acting instinctively and decisively under pressure.
Mental health and wellbeing
Coping with the stress and aftermath of real- life experiences, PTSD and the ability to stay connected and contribute to the community. Using negative experiences as a tool to grow in a positive direction.
Russell and Shanan really engaged the audience, the photographs were a fantastic complement to their presentation. Their personal stories really tied in with our safety conference, how they have overcome personal adversities and reinforced they sought professional help to do this. They are both very inspiring people and will recommend them to others.
Department of Education WA