Mitch McPherson Book as a speaker/entertainer for your next event
Key Points for Mitch McPherson
- Mitch McPherson is the Founder of a well-respected and award-winning charity in Tasmania that has grown to have nine staff members. Stay ChatTY has five official major sponsors and has built close working relationships with primary and high schools, sporting clubs, businesses, organisations, other like-minded charities and community groups across the state.
- Turned his personal story of his brother’s life and death to help others recognise the warning signs of those who may be struggling into a published a book Behind the Smile in 2018.
- SPEAK UP! Stay ChatTY partnered with Relationships Australia Tasmania in 2014, a huge opportunity for Mitch’s charity to continue supporting Tasmanians to achieve positive lives and healthy relationships.
- Has received many accolades for the never-ending dedication he has to impacting change in the Tasmanian community. Including, but not limited to: Tasmanian of the Year finalist 2014, Tasmanian Pride of Australia Medal for Community Spirit 2015, Tasmanian Premier’s Young Achiever of the Year Award 2016, Tasmanian Community Achievement Award winner for ‘Healthier Communities’ 2016, and most recently Tasmanian Young Australian of the Year 2017 and National Men’s Health ‘People’s Choice’ Award 2020.
- Implemented dynamic educational programs into schools and sporting clubs across Tasmania, continuing to educate Tasmanians on the issues surrounding mental health.
Topics for Mitch McPherson
- Lived experience presentation
This keynote presentation outlines Mitch’s experiences in an open and honest presentation from the heart. The aim of the presentation is to encourage those listening to speak up if they are not okay, or to reach out to a friend who they may feel is not okay and raise awareness of mental health issues and suicide prevention. The keynote presentation is tailored to the client and the outcomes they desire with an educational and inspirational focus.
Mitch's presentation covers:
- Personal Story- a firsthand experience of suicide bereavement.
- The journey from tradie to mental health advocate.
- Overview of mental health; what it is and what to look out for.
- 5 ways we can all make a difference.
- Panel discussion
Throughout Mitch’s journey as a mental health advocate, Mitch has been part of many panel discussions. key topics: suicide prevention, mental health, starting a charity from the ground up, speaking on how you can turn a tragedy into positive, inspirational topics to encourage speaking up, to name a few. Dependent on other panellists, will determine the direction of the conversation. Mitch sat on many panels since his involvement with Australian of the Year in 2017.
- Q&A session
Another great way to engage Mitch and learn more about his story has been by way of question and answer sessions. The topic can always vary, and many are similar to panel discussion topics. Answers and examples can be tailored to suit the audience, or Mitch is always happy to not tailor questions and answer off the cuff to suit the flow of the session. The empathy and awareness that Mitch has allows him to understand the client and audiences needs and ideal outcomes. All topics are specifically tailored prior to undertaking.
Testimonials for Mitch McPherson
Mitch's personal message is one that we will never forget and has provided an ideal avenue for 'keeping the conversation going'. A remarkable man with a message that everyone needs to hear.
Fairbrother has hosted Mitch as a part of the training we deliver to our first year carpentry and cabinet making apprentices in March for the last six years. The message he delivers to the approximately 25no. attendees each year is personal and very engaging. He interacts directly with us and is able to deliver his message in a way that consistently leaves everyone better off having heard his story and experiences. He is a down to earth and relatable speaker. Each year, the new apprentices always note the segment he delivers as one of the highlights of the training day. We would gladly recommend Mitch as a speaker to other groups, businesses and organisations.
Apprentice Program Manager
I first met Mitch McPherson during Speak Up Stay ChatTY’s infancy, when I was teacher. I had never heard Mitch speak but I invited him to present to my Grade 6 students. We all listened to Mitch’s raw and confronting personal story, detailing the time when Mitch’s younger brother, Ty, took his own life and the harsh reality of a family struggling to carry on in the aftermath. It was profound experience. Mitch and I have become friends and I am continually inspired by his outlook and ability to recount his family’s own tragic experience in an effort to help others. Mitch works in the community to promote mental health and prevention of suicide by normalising conversations and encouraging people to seek help when they need it. Mitch has received many awards for his work and was the 2017 Tasmanian Young Australian of the Year. Mitch is an inspiration to many and I’m proud to support him.
Labor Member for Elwick
Shadow Minister for Education and Early Years
Shadow Minister for Youth Affairs