Alison Venter Book as a speaker/entertainer for your next event
Key Points for Alison Venter
- Alison Venter was born with a rare physical condition resulting in her facing significant prejudice and hardship in her early years.
- She was the first student with a disability to attend mainstream school in her province (Durban, South Africa).
- She holds a Bachelor and two Masters degrees.
- Is an ACEL New Voice in Educational Leadership Research Award recipient.
- She has presented research at the International Literacy Association Conference, USA.
- She shares her unique story of gaining her first job, driving, and the challenges of the education system both as a student and as an educator.
Topics for Alison Venter
- University of Adversity
My life story.
- The Value of Life
Making a small difference in the lives of students with trauma and disadvantage by demonstrating resilience, perseverance and grit.
- Getting stuck in the glass elevator
Tackling the continued prejudice and assumptions that disabled people quit or can’t advance in life.
- Ready, Willing and Disabled
Entering the workforce, facing discrimination from employers and employees.
- Am I God’s Mistake?
Addressing the value of my difference.
- Being angry doesn’t make you taller
Addressing ownership of attitude and actions when faced with adversity.
- Push gets you everywhere except through a door marked pull!
A guide to traveling overseas with an electric wheelchair and a sense of humour.