Sam Lane Book as a speaker/entertainer for your next event
Key Points for Sam Lane
- A richly experienced and award-winning journalist, Sam is genuinely ‘multi-media’.
- With a standout knack for balancing deep knowledge of subject matter with her warmth and inclusivity, Sam hosts live events and conferences, moderates panels, conducts unforgettable one-on-one interviews and delivers impactful keynote addresses - online and in-person - for Australia’s largest and most recognisable companies, institutions and faces.
- Sam has covered pinnacle sporting events live on television, from AFL men’s and women’s grand final broadcasts to Commonwealth Games on Channel 7; variety panel shows including Channel 10’s Before the Game and held a regular breakfast television slot on Sunrise with the weekend sport wrap.
- A storyteller at heart, with whip-smart new sense, Sam naturally finds the heart of a topic, interview subject or occasion, engaging audiences at large and intimate events.
- Sam tailors her keynote addresses to the occasion, audience and format delivering memorable talks of up to 60 minutes, with or without audience QandA.
Topics for Sam Lane
- Master of Ceremonies
- Trailblazing and one-out women
- A pioneer on TV, radio and in print in Australia, Sam discusses the pros and cons of being a “one-out woman” in a workplace, the value of allies, and how roadblocks can be overcome;
- Highlights from a multi-media career including reporting from: three Summer Olympic Games, three editions of the men’s Tour de France, the landmark 2022 women’s Tour de France, the 2016 Commonwealth Games and countless AFL men’s and women’s grand finals and seasons. The thrills and (occasional) spills.
- A “Movement bigger than sport” – Game changing on and off field
- Sam’s first book, ROAR (2018, Penguin Random House), is the definitive account of the birth of the AFL women’s league;
- Sam shares inside stories from the unforgettable 2017 launch of AFLW, to the sexism and homophobia that tried to keep it down;
- Sam discusses the global rise of women in sport on field – leadership, pay and other equality battles, including sexism, homophobia and other systemic discrimination.
Endorsements of Roar
I once joked about playing full-forward for the Western Bulldogs. At the time, that was an impossible dream for any woman. But not anymore. The AFLW has unlocked a new wave of Australian sporting heroes for young girls, where ambition to play footy is no longer inhibited by gender. Best on ground to Samantha Lane for this inspiring account of the resilience and determination it took to get the League to a national level, and showcasing the depth of talent amongst its players.
Julia Gillard AC
27th Prime Minister of Australia
A powerful and timely call to arms.
- Daughter, Dads and Mums
Sam shares the life-changing story of losing her Mum when she was 10, and moving in with her Dad – sport broadcaster Tim.
How a sole child, single parent and three cat family muddled through, with Sam eventually catching the sports journalism bug and making her own mark in Australian sports broadcasting and journalism.
- World of sport journalism
- Sport in Australia
- Women in sport in Australia and globally
- Women in media in sport, Australia and globally
- Birth of AFL women's league
- Gender equality
- Culture change/male and female champion of change
Testimonials for Sam Lane
She was absolutely lovely and extremely professional. She had thoroughly researched the content, was well prepared and genuinely engaged and interested. You never quite know what high-profile speakers are going to be like until you meet them personally. Sam was incredibly down to earth and asked all the right questions. She was so polite and stuck around to chat to the guests. I've had nothing but amazing feedback on Sam, she was the perfect fit for our event and I truly hope to work with her again in the future.
The Launch Box
I’d just like to let you know how yesterday’s Toccolan Footy Lunch at the MCC Members Dining Room went with Sam. Sam was an absolute delight to work with. She arrived early, was well prepared and…… my god, even a folder with notes! I was impressed at her level of preparation. Sam was very professional the whole time. She was engaging, energetic and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for her. Often in these types of events, we end up flying by the seat of our pants as the event unfolds, but this didn’t faze Sam, who accommodated our every request and whim.
Toccolan Football Club
The involvement of Sam Lane in a public event – sporting or otherwise – lifts it to another level. Her research is impeccable, which is always a joy for the interviewee. Her sense of humour and poise add that extra ingredient … she’s a wonderful asset to any organisation or event.
Bruce McAvaney OAM
Broadcaster and Host
Sam combines attention to detail with a deeply intelligent and humble approach to interviewing; knowing that her job is to find the story, not to big-note herself. She is always prepared, always listening, always a class act.
Journalist, Broadcaster, Author, Host
The ultimate professional.
Comedian and Channel 10 colleague of nine years
Before the Game
Sam is one of the very best in the business. Combining intelligence and insight with humour and hard work, she is the complete package, whether as a host, reporter, interviewer or MC. A genuine interest in her subjects is the magic ingredient that so many other reporters and interviewers are missing. Subjects reveal their true selves to Sam - often on national television! And it’s never about Sam, which is something all-too rare in our industry.
Sam possesses a unique balance of knowledge and preparation with spontaneous wit and perceptive responses.
Richmond Football Club
An award-winning journo who’s cracked all media: TV, radio and print. Sam is part-magician, part-counsellor. She draws out some never heard stories … her subjects confide in her, laugh and cry with her.
Natasha Stott Despoja AO
United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) member
Top 100 Global Influencers on Gender Policy
I’ve chosen Sam to write my book because I trust her. She’s genuine, smart, caring and passionate - in her life and in her profession.”
Erin Phillips OAM
Olympic medallist, multi-world and WNBA champion. Champion AFL trailblazer
Sam is able to draw out the best in us all.
Her humility and graciousness shine through in any forum.
Craig Foster AO
Broadcaster, Socceroo, Chair Australian Republic Movement
Sam is a social entrepreneur who has turned her formidable intellect and powers of persuasion to using women’s sport as a vehicle for social change. Well informed, articulate and hugely engaging, Sam sees advancing women’s sport as leverage for improving social equity, particularly for women, throughout the community.
Boston Consulting Group
AFL Commissioner 1993-2008, Geelong Football
Club President 2010-2021
Sam Lane is intuitive, smart, quick, highly professional, and a major journalistic talent. Her moderating skills across a variety of panel subjects were outstanding. She applied a journalist’s forensic focus and innate curiosity to her research, and her natural warmth and energy made each of her events inclusive, safe and exciting. Audiences love her. Panel members love her. Festival volunteers love her.
Sorrento Writers Festival, Journalist, Author
Sam is a rare talent. Anything she has to say is worth listening to. ROAR is one of the most important and insightful representations of the emergence of women’s football going around.
North Melbourne Football Club
Sam is our first-choice host of the National Sports & Physical Activity Convention. She brings out the very best of our global keynote speakers, whether online or in-person. Everyone feels that Sam wants them to be their best.
Australian National Sports & Physical Activity Convention
I would highly recommend Sam for anyone needing a top-tier MC for their event.
Sport South Australia
Sam is the consummate professional at everything she does, from sports journalism to public speaking, and advocating for the causes she believes in.
Susan Alberti AC
Philanthropist and businesswoman