Kate Jenkins AO Book as a speaker/entertainer for your next event
Key Points for Kate Jenkins AO
- Kate Jenkins AO is a former Australian Sex Discrimination Commissioner and former Victorian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commissioner. Human rights and gender equality expert.
- She is the author of Respect@Work: National Inquiry into Sexual Harassment in Australia Workplaces which resulted in comprehensive reform to laws and practice in Australia, including a new positive legal obligation on employers to prevent sexual harassment and sex discrimination, enforced from December 2023.
- Kate is a trusted leader and renowned change-maker. Led independent reviews of Commonwealth Parliamentary Workplaces, Gymnastics in Australia, Australian Universities, ASX200 board practices and led collaborations with Defence, Police and Border Force.
- Her experience includes law firm partner, board director and commissioner. Advised extensively on board and executive responsibilities for people and culture; diversity and inclusion; and leadership and governance.
- She has worked with FIFA, Football Australia, Gymnastics, Cricket, Netball, AFL, Golf, Basketball, Tennis Australia, Sport Australia, Sport Integrity Australia and was Co-Chair of Play by the Rules.
- Kate has addressed the National Press Club three times; represented Australia at the United Nations in New York and Geneva; appeared before Parliaments and Royal Commissions; regular media commentator.
Topics for Kate Jenkins AO
- Leading change
As Australian Sex Discrimination Commissioner, Kate has examined some of the most complex issues, worked in some of the most unique environments, and led some of the most significant reforms to achieve equality respect and safety in workplaces, communities, parliament, sport and education.
Inspired by the Global #MeToo movement, Kate convinced Government to support her leadership of the 2020 National Inquiry into Sexual Harassment in Australian Workplaces.
Government accepted all 55 recommendations of Kate’s Respect@Work report, including legislative reform introducing for the first time a positive duty on employers to prevent sexual harassment in 2022.
As the author of these laws and the 7 new employer standards, Kate provides her unique perspective for the changes in law and practice around workplace sexual harassment and bullying, and how these reforms also support high performance.
- Equality and diversity in sport
Kate has unique understanding of the capacity of sport to mobilise community change:
- From grass root participation through Play by the Rules to supporting elite athletes in Football and Cricket;
- From combatting abuse in Gymnastics and discrimination in Golf to supporting sporting in trailblazers in AFLW
- Gender equality in Australia
Kate has worked a lifetime in the areas of human rights, sex discrimination and gender equality. She has unique insight into progress on gender equality over the last 50 plus year - what has been achieved, what remains to be done and how we compare globally.
As Sex Discrimination Kate advocated for law reform, as well as for action on women’s economic security, gender-based violence and diversity in leadership. Her work has resulted in tangible change in workplaces, sport, parliament, education, and the arts.
- My journey
From an orchard childhood, first generation university graduate; employment lawyer, stepmother and mother, to reforming Australia’s laws, reviewing the Australian parliament, travelling with Defence into the Middle East, and representing Australia at the UN.