- Deng Adut is a former child soldier who fought in the civil war in Sudan who escaped aged 12.
- He is now a criminal lawyer giving disadvantaged people a voice.
- The co-founder of AC Law Group, Sydney's leading criminal law firm.
- Co-author of acclaimed book Songs of a War Boy.
- NSW Australian of the Year.
- Gave the 2016 Australia Day address.
- Overcoming adversity
- The transformative power of education
- Organisational values and ethics
- Global community
- Eliminating self doubt
Deng is so personable and students really appreciated his humour and his story, even though it is so far removed from their life experience. He really tailored his talk to our Catholic/Christian worldview and spoke to the students with content and ideas that complemented our College’s ethos e.g. compassion, respect, being pure of heart, wishing for others what you have for yourself. He also challenged their attitudes on refugees and how they can make a difference.
Deng Adut's address was unbelievably powerful. His story is humbling, tough and inspiring at the same time.
Zurich Financial Services Australia Ltd.