- 2015 Queensland Young Australian of the Year, named in Australia’s 100 Most Influential Engineers in 2015 (by Engineers Australia), Youngest named in Australia’s 100 Women of Influence in 2012 (AFR + Wespac), 2015 InStyle’s Woman of Style, 2015’s Muslim Youth of the Year, 2007 Young Australian Muslim of the Year, etc.
- Author of debut memoir Yassmin’s Story, published by Penguin Random House
- TV Host of ABC’s ‘Australia Wide’ and regular commentator on ‘QandA’, ‘The Drum’, Ten’s ‘The Project’ and more
- On the Council of Australian-Arab Relations, Our Watch, ChildFund Australia and previously: Youth G20 Organising Committee (Media), Australian Multicultural Council, Board of the Queensland Museum, Queensland Design Council
- Written for Huffington Post, Australian Financial Review, The Griffith Review, The Royal Academy of Engineering, The SMH and The Age, Motorsport correspondent for The Saturday Paper and more
- International speaker, having spoken to the Inter-American Development Bank in DC (am now the gender ambassador), the IMD (top rated business school in Europe, based in Switzerland), the Royal Academy of Engineering in London (in Sept). Also spoken in Malaysia (hosted by DFAT), Canada, Sudan, across the US (including addressing Halliburton in Houston to an online audience of over 1000 from 31 different countries) and others
- Works as a drilling engineer (previously for Schlumberger and now for a large Energy Major), and Team Principal for the University of Queensland’s FSAE Race-Car team, as well as chassis designer. Graduated Valedictorian and First Class Honours in Mechanical Engineering in 2011
- What Does My Headscarf Mean To You - TEDx 2015
- Beating bias
- Unconscious bias, diversity, the importance of diverse teams and how to challenge and change our workplaces and communities
- The school of life
- Leadership at a young age, Starting an NGO while a teenager, the lessons in running NGOs and diverse teams, working with young people, international development lessons from a young age
- Women in male dominated industries
- Challenges, benefits, experiences
- Gender and engineering, gender and infrastructure
- How do we take gender into account in areas where we traditionally haven’t split down gender lines?
- Changing and creating culture in workplaces and communities
- The Role of Faith and Culture in Leadership and Society
- Social trends and change
- What will the world look like in 20 years and what do we need to do about it?
- How to run a small race car team when you’re a brown, Muslim, Hijabi woman
Excellent, Yassmin was a great speaker and had the room in the palm of her hand for the duration of her inspirational presentation.
Transport of NSW
Extremely engaging and connected well with the audience.
Committee for Portland
Yassmin delivered a keynote address to a group of 400 senior global managers. She maintained the attention of the group by delivering a set of simple and powerful messages in a very personal and compelling way. She has developed a level of insight and maturity well beyond her years.
Global Center for Digital Business Transformation, an IMD and Cisco Initiative