Sophie Thomson Book as a speaker/entertainer for your next event
Key Points for Sophie Thomson
- Sophie Thomson writes for Gardening Australia magazine, pens a weekly gardening column for the Sunday Mail and the Weekender Herald and is the garden writer for the quarterly Adelaide Hills Magazine, regularly voted the best regional publication in Australia.
- Her first book From the Ground Up was judged the best general gardening book in Australia, at the 2009 biennial Laurel Awards for Horticultural Media of Australia. She also co-authored the 2010 Reader’s Digest book Waterwise Gardening and was the garden writer for the 2014 Reader’s Digest’s publication The Ultimate Book of Vegetables.
- In 2014, Sophie created A Backyard for Kids at the Royal Adelaide Show. It was a purpose built backyard designed for kids, complete with a rolling lawn, shade trees, vegies and herbs, green wall, hanging seat, sand pit, stepping stones, balancing logs, insect hotel, beehive, crawling tunnels, wooden armchairs and water feature. Her vision was to inspire others to create gardens where children can play freely, connect with nature and learn to grow some food. The feature garden won first prize, her third in a row at the show.
- Sophie received the 2022 SA Environment Award Pelzer prize.
Topics for Sophie Thomson
- Based around Gardening & Sustainability
- Keynote presentations
- Master of Ceremonies
Testimonials for Sophie Thomson
Great to work with and audiences thoroughly enjoyed her talks.
Karoonda Farm Fair
Sophie was extremely knowledgeable, entertaining and easy to listen to. On top of this she was very personable & easy to work with. We were all delighted with our choice and thoroughly enjoyed her presentation.
The Heights Village
I have had the pleasure of engaging Sophie Thompson to conduct “Garden Talks” on a number of occasions in recent times. Sophie is delightful in her delivery and her audience is captive from the moment she begins to speak. Sophie’s knowledge of all things horticultural is impressive and she shares her knowledge with intelligence and humour most generously, involving her audience along the way with fun questions and competitions. We look forward to Sophie sharing her stories and knowledge at our 2015 Spring Garden Competition presentation evening. Henley Community Garden were so thrilled to have her speak at their opening a few years ago and we often speak about her generosity on the day, I know that everyone thoroughly enjoyed her presentation and all were delighted with her interactive approach! A number of Garden Competition entrants have thanked us for the presentation evening and have been thrilled to hear her speak, always commenting that they loved hearing her speak…..not to mention, their delight in her question and answer session and the opportunity to win such terrific prizes for their garden.
Strategic Planner, Open Space and Recreation
City of Charles Sturt
We have been fortunate to have Sophie present at our Gawler Sustainable Living Festivals which are held annually for the community. Sophie has been a key note speaker sharing her wisdom and experience of gardening in South Australia, which has proved to be a huge benefit to attendees. Through her realistic and down to earth approach Sophie captivates and inspires her audience. Feedback from the community has been that Sophie is always willing to discuss issues in the garden and offer practical advice.
Gawler Regional National Resource Centre
Attending a Sophie Thomson gardening workshop renewed my enthusiasm for gardening, a very inspirational speaker. She also gave me reason to question why and challenge some gardening myths and to think outside of the square. Also get back to basics - it’s all about the "dirt" (and its ok to call soil dirt) get this right and the plants will reward you. Sophie as a speaker was awesome. Her knowledge is unbelievable and I felt I can actually achieve something by giving gardening a go. I was particularly interested in how to plan the planting around the house to reduce heat and dust and surviving in a rural climate.
National Resources Officer
Sophie was so easy to work with when organising our event. She was bubbling with ideas and suggestions to help us make it a success. On the day she was a streamlined wonder, setting up her display in a matter of minutes, then smiling - always smiling! - kept our audience enthralled. The time simply flew!
Echunga Primary School